Skip to the content
In New York you can get arrested if:
- Walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in your pocket.
- You do not purchase a license before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
- You talk to someone while riding in an elevator or fold your hands while looking toward the door.
- You flirt: a fine of $25 will have to be paid. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking “at a woman in that way.” A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a “pair of horse-blinders” wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
- You throw a ball at someone’s head for fun.
Staten Island, NY
- You are a father and call your son a “faggot” or “queer” in an effort to curb his “girlie behavior.”
- You water your lawn without holding the hose in your hand.
New York City
- Smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building.
- Greet someone else by “putting one’s thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers”.
- However, women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business.
- You are a woman wearing “body hugging clothing” on the street.
Ocean City, NY
- You are a man and go topless in the center of town.
- Eat in the street in a residential neighborhood or drink a beverage on the beach other than water from a clear plastic bottle.
- Eat peanuts during a concert or walk backwards on the sidewalks.
- You are a man and go outside wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.