Answers To Trick Questions
Here are the standard answers to the trick question quiz.
Can you think of more creative answers to these?
- How can you arrange for two people to stand on the same piece of newspaper and yet be unable to touch each other without stepping off the newspaper?
Slide the newspaper half way under a closed door and ask the two people to stand on the bit of newspaper on their side of the door.
- How many 3-cent stamps are there in a dozen?
There are twelve (not four)
- A rope ladder hangs over the side of a ship. The rungs are one foot apart and the ladder is 12 feet long. The tide is rising at four inches an hour. How long will it take before the first four rungs of the ladder are underwater?
Actually, the ladder will rise with the ship!
- Which would you rather have, a trunk full of nickels or a trunk half full of dimes?
Dimes are smaller than nickels, so choose the dimes.
- Steve has three piles of sand and Mike has four piles of sand. If they put them all together, how many do they have?
If they put them all together, there will be one pile.
- In which sport are the shoes made entirely of metal?
- If the Vice President of the United States should die, who would be President?
- How can you throw a golf ball with all your might and–without hitting a wall or any other obstruction–have the ball stop and come right back to you?
Throw the ball straight up.
- Find the English word that can be formed from all these letters: PNLLEEEESSSSS